Arbtirary thoughts on nearly everything from a modernist poet, structural mathematician and functional programmer.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A sudden realization.

I think I'm going to make a conscious effort to let my stories become more surreal. I've always found a certain level of reality in surreal works-- an awe-inspiring mythical atmosphere-- something that's missing in realism. For the most part, my writings fit under the classification of surreal, but even Breviary, which has a extremely surreal plot, is framed as a series of dreams. It's as if I'm trying to rationalize my works, bring them into reality. I need to stop doing that. I feel like I'm trying to make my writing something it isn't; trying to add something in order to make it better, or more literary or something. I'm killing it when I do that. I need to just let it flow.

On another note, I'm definitely going to start drawing and painting again soon. It's a lot of fun, and I've spent far too long away from it.

No comments:

Creative Commons License Cory Knapp.